Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New business, no it's a hobby

In April 2011 I started my new business.  I planted 51 Scotch pine seedlings.  The plan was to grow them into Christmas trees and reap big profits.  A $1 seedling, if it survives and is properly pruned, will sell for $20 in Mountain View.  Sounds good!

 However, there is a little more to the story.  After one year only 38 trees survived.  The remaining 38 are looking good.  They should be ready to sell in five more years. For a real business to work, I need to plant 50-60 trees each year and harvest about 40 per year. 

Then there are the other expenses.  After a year of record-keeping, I added up the cost of mower gasoline, irrigation water, herbicide, and tools.  Add in a few miscellaneous expenses, and I figure I can expect to clear about $235 per year on this so-called business. 
So..... I have decided to call this enterprise a "hobby".  (I'm retired.  I can have all the hobbies I want.)  If I make a couple hundred bucks some year, I'll file a Schedule C.  No big deal.  If 25% die, like they did last year, no big deal. 

 So this year I ordered more 75 Scotch pine seedlings to stock the David Pine Patch.  (I even registered my business name.)  On April 19 I planted 78 more seedlings.  About five have already died.  We need rain.  (That is increasing my irrigation expense.) 

Granddaughter Karis picked out this seedling on the left as her favorite baby Christmas tree last summer.  When we sell it Karis gets all the income from her favorite tree. 






The tree on the right is Granddaughter Olivia's favorite tree.  When we sell it Olivia gets the proceeds.  This offer is open to other grandchildren who might come and select a tree. 

Sorry, this offer applies only to grandchildren. 






No comments: